Following the recomendations I published in previous posts about smart communications (with emails and on the telephone ) in this one I will cover some rules to apply during telephone and video conferences.
Telephone and video conferences are a very important tools to facilitate virtual communications and hold virtual meetings.
- Are you organizing the conference? Then familiarize yourself with the technical aspects beforehand. This way you have one less stress factor during the meeting.
- Related documents should be distributed in advance. Ideally, you have a participant at the other location with whom you can go through possibles critical or difficult points in advance.
- Even if the agenda is tight, give everyone the opportunity at the beginning to acquaint themselves with each other. Personal contact is an important basis for future positive teamwork.
- The conference should be conducted in English it the participants are multinational. Avoid side conversations in your mother tongue. This is even more irritating than during a normal meeting and, moreover, impolite.
- Make sure that only one person speaks at a time. Conciously speak loud and clear, avoing background noises.
- Minutes should be distributed within three working days (maximum), answering the quetions “Who is to do what and when?”